Boston Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez said Thursday that he doesn’t know if the team will have a shot at the postseason.
Martinez said the team has the best record in the American League at 57-24, but said he doesn and hasn’t thought about it.
“I’m not going to say no,” Martinez said.
“That’s up to them.
We just haven’t played in the playoffs yet.
I just don’t know how it’s going to shake out, how it all is going to go down.
I’m not sure what the playoffs are going to look like, so I’m going to wait and see.
I don’t think there’s any sense in me saying that.”
Martinez, who made the All-Star team in 2011, said he’s been talking to Red Sox executive vice president Dan Duquette about the team’s chances.
“The conversation we’re having is I’m sure there’s going be some discussion around who is going with, and who is not going with,” Martinez told reporters at Fenway Park.
“It’s just like any business in baseball.
If we feel like we’re better than everybody else, we’ll probably play.”
Martinez was a finalist for the AL Cy Young Award last season and was the AL MVP last year.
The 29-year-old right-hander is one of three Red Sox pitchers who have won 20 or more games in each of the past two seasons, joining David Price and Ubaldo Jimenez.
The other two pitchers, Kevin Millwood and John Lackey, are both 29.
Martinez, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft, has thrown two complete games this season, including the Red Sox’ 6-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday.
The Red Sox will need a winning record to earn a playoff spot.
In the AL wild-card game on Thursday night, Boston’s Cole Hamels threw two scoreless innings and walked three while striking out five.
The game was decided in a 10-inning span.
“Cole Hamels is a very good pitcher, but we just don.
I think there is a lot of trust in him,” Duquettes said.
The Sox will be without left fielder Adam Eaton, who has been dealing with a knee injury.